Thursday, December 18, 2008

Walking In A Winter Wonderland....

Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE the snow??? Well I do! And even though it can be a major inconvenience to most, I welcome snow days. Today we woke up to a blanket of white outside our apartment. It was great! Jim and I both decided our lives and our cars are more important than work and decided to stay home with Kayla and have a family snow day. After we decided it would be fun to take our little plastic snow saucers across the street to my school for some sledding, we walked outside to assess the driving situation and discovered this:

(the lower right corner of the pictures marks the driveway to our neighborhood)
~~ two cars were spun out and stuck at the bottom of the hill ~~


the guy in this next picture had just gotten out of his car after sliding and hitting another car that had been stuck since earlier this morning


three cars were spun out and stuck right across from our driveway - one facing the completely opposite direction


As we were getting all bundled up and ready for some sledding, we watched a couple in a big black Dodge truck start down the hill, put on the brakes, and slide half way down the hill sideways before he was finally able to stop. He managed to turn himself facing back up the hill and get out of there. There were many others who fell victim to this small hill right outside our house...but there were a few who managed to find their way out.

I'm glad I have nowhere to go and am certainly glad I avoided work today. I was actually supposed to be the backup person since my boss wasn't able to make it down her hill either. Oops - who would have thought I would get snowed in too??? Have I mentioned that I LOVE the snow???


Anyway - we made it across the street (took me about 20 minutes because I went sliding sideways down the hill on my feet) and we spent the morning sledding down the hills around campus and making snow angels. It's been snowing all day and doesn't seem as if it will let up any time soon. Do you know what this means??? ANOTHER SNOW DAY TOMORROW (let's keep our fingers crossed)!!!

1 comments:

T + S said...

Yikes!! I'm so glad you didn't have to venture out for work!! I'm also glad that there is no school right now... I might have to pack a sleeping bag and a suitcase if it keeps this up next quarter!

I hope you all had fun sledding at the school. I can only imagine those hills are a blast on a plastic saucer :o)!